Date:	Fri, 03 Aug 2007 13:00:52 +0800
From:	Carlo Florendo <subscribermail@...il.com>
To:	Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@....de>
Cc:	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...otime.net>,
	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>,
	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: gcc fixed size char array initialization bug - known?

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>
>> C99 spec that Al referred you to (available for around US$18 as a pdf)
>> says in 6.7.8, para. 14 (where Al said):
>>
>> "An array of character type may be initialized by a character string literal, optionally
>> enclosed in braces. Successive characters of the character string literal (including the
>> terminating null character if there is room or if the array is of unknown size) initialize the
>> elements of the array."
>
> Wow... So, the terminating '\0' in the string constant IS "special" and
> "optional"... Ok, then, THIS does answer my question, THIS I can
> understand, and, ghm, accept...
>
> Thanks to all who tried to explain this to me and sorry it took so long...

You should not have asked in the first place.  The declaration

char c[4] = "abcd"

is perfectly valid. There is no cause for debate about it :)

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City