Date:	Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:14:00 -0600
From:	"Michael Bourgeous" <sts.nitrogen@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Driver-level memory management

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a driver for older HDTV cards based on the TL880 chip.
These cards typically have 16MB of their own memory, which is
available to me over the PCI bus.  Various functions of the card
require me to manage this memory, allocating and freeing chunks of it
as necessary.  I can easily include my own allocation and management
code, but I'm sure this is a problem that has been solved before.
I've found two interesting sets of functions, the kmem_cache_* and
mempool_* functions, but neither does quite what I'm looking for.  So,
in a sentence, my question is this: Does the kernel provide memory
pool functions that would allow me to call the appropriate equivalent
of kmalloc/kfree, using the card's memory as the pool instead of
actually allocating physical or virtual memory?

By the way, I am not subscribed to the LKML, so please include my
address in any responses.

Thanks,
Mike Bourgeous
http://myhd.sf.net/