Date:	Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Kevin E <kevin360@...oo.com>
To:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Marvell 88E8056 gigabit ethernet controller

--- Willy Tarreau <w@....eu> wrote:

> No Stephen, look again, he says that moving the
> video card into the broken
> system does not change anything.

Correct, I've used three different video cards in the
broken machine.  I've used an old PCI vid card, the
PCI-X vid card from the working machine, and now PCI-X
card I just bought yesterday (nvidia based).  None
have affected whether the Marvell chipset works or
not.

Also, the broken machine is a server so I don't start
X on it.  It just sits in console mode all the time.
The CPU (Core2 E4400) used to be in the working
machine, then upgraded it to the Q6600 and put the old
E4400 in the new MB that became the broken machine.
Memory was brand new out of the package.  So I've used
the E4400 in a MB that worked fine.

> I don't understand why the working one is on PCI bus
> 3 while the other
> is on PCI bus 4. It's just as if the chip embedded a
> PCI bridge. Maybe
> those chips are just cheaper dual-channel
> controllers with one faulty
> controller disabled. It would also explain why the
> PCI ID is different.

I've attached the "lspci -vvv" output for the two
machines, if it doesn't come through just let me know
how I can get it to you.

Thanks,
Kevin