Date:	Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:47:10 -0700
From:	"Brennan Ashton" <comphappy@...il.com>
To:	Nix <nix@...eri.org.uk>
Cc:	"Marc Perkel" <mperkel@...oo.com>,
	"Al Viro" <viro@....linux.org.uk>,
	"Kyle Moffett" <mrmacman_g4@....com>,
	"Phillip Susi" <psusi@....rr.com>, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu,
	"Michael Tharp" <gxti@...tiallystapled.com>,
	alan <alan@...eserver.org>,
	"LKML Kernel" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@...lub.uwaterloo.ca>,
	"Al Viro" <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Thinking outside the box on file systems

While i highly support innovation, until i see a well layed out
structure of what exactly you are looking for i have a hard time
expressing any view that are meaningful, could you create some kind of
wiki or summery email (if this is really this important to you) most
of us are lazy and have better things to do, make it easy for us.
  A) Create a list of the current problems or just inefficiencies in
the current system.
 B) Create a list of all the points that make up your view of a good
file system.
 C) Cross the two lists showing how your idea would fix the current problems.

I am not saying that the current way is the right or wrong way, just
that i think you have organised your ideas as if you are thinking out
loud by email (which is ok by me, just stop the direct attacks if you
are).
I agree that every company and program gets caught in a rut, that does
not conform to changing markets and technology, especially if it was
at one time a success, IBM, Microsoft, Apple, Sun, American Auto
Industry to name a few. These are also example companies that have
gotten the idea that what they do might not be right way and have made
some attempt to step back (some more successfully than others) or face
loss in market share.
Just remember a key point when rethinking something as key as a file
system, while your new battery may be much more efficient than my old
AA, i want it to work with my old flashlights too (and no aftermarket
refit kit).
Should the surroundings be modified for the target, or the target
modified for the surroundings?
Your little rants about VI and rm are not helpful, if these programs
were so bad then why have they survived. Linux is on hell of a project
to be put together, sorry but innovation did come from people using VI
and Emacs. btw i highly recommend the command man, you should try it.
--
Brennan Ashton
Bellingham, Washington

"The box said, 'Requires Windows 98 or better'. So I installed Linux"