Date:	Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:56:08 +0200
From:	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>
To:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...putergmbh.de>
CC:	Folkert van Heusden <folkert@...heusden.com>,
	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: sata & scsi suggestion for make menuconfig

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Sep 8 2007 09:05, Stefan Richter wrote:
>> config ATA_SD
>> 	tristate "SATA/PATA HDD support (via SCSI disk support)"
>> 	depends on ATA
>> 	select BLK_DEV_SD
>> 	help
>> 	  'SCSI disk support' is required to access SATA HDDs.  It is
[...]
>>	  You can say Y or M here to select SCSI disk support, or you
>>	  can do so in the 'SCSI device support' section.
[...]
> And what uses ATA_SD, or is the user supposed to manually enable it?

It is merely there to produce the prompt which people asked for.
CONFIG_ATA_SD (or CONFIG_ATA_BLK_DEV_SD or whatever) won't turn up in
any Makefile or source code.

Note, I'm not fond of 'select' nor of dummy Kconfig variables.  Plus I
can personally live very well with the current solution (sd_mod et al
are mentioned in the help text at CONFIG_ATA).  That's why I posted only
the example instead of a complete patch.
--
Stefan Richter