Date:	Sun, 09 Sep 2007 09:41:26 -0400
From:	"James C. Georgas" <jgeorgas@...rgas.ca>
To:	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: broken ACPI NUMA config option

On Sat, 2007-08-09 at 22:00 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > For example, you would only need to specify one "select" directive in
> > X86_64_ACPI_NUMA, (i.e. to turn on ACPI_NUMA). The configuration system
> > would then recursively walk up ACPI_NUMA's dependency hierarchy, turning
> > on what it needed.
>
> That is highly desirable IMO.  Not having that is one of the things
> that makes using 'select' "evil."
>
> Have you looked at the code and given any thought to implementing this?

I'd like to take a run at it. The only issue I foresee is what to do
about multiple OR dependencies. There are some kconfig options that
depend on at least one of a set of specified dependencies. For example,
is ARCH_SPARSEMEM_ENABLE selectable if only one of NUMA || EXPERIMENTAL
is selected? So do we abort, select one, or select all dependencies?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the usage of || here though. I'm assuming
inclusive OR.

James
	/\V