Date:	Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:50:23 +0100
From:	Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@....ac.uk>
To:	marc.smith@...ail.mcc.edu, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
	Linux Memory Management List <linux-mm@...ck.org>
Subject: Re: VM/VFS bug with large amount of memory and file systems?

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this.

On 15 Sep 2007, at 11:08, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 08:27 +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
>
> Please, don't word wrap log-files, they're hard enough to read without
> it :-(
>
> ( I see people do this more and more often, *WHY*? is that because we
> like 80 char lines, in code and email? )

I haven't word wrapped it at all.  The lines appear as whole lines in
Apple Mail (my email client).  It must be your email client that is
wrapping them...

> Anyway, looks like all of zone_normal is pinned in kernel allocations:
>
>> Sep 13 15:31:25 escabot Normal free:3648kB min:3744kB low:4680kB
>> high: 5616kB active:0kB inactive:3160kB present:894080kB
>> pages_scanned:5336 all_unreclaimable? yes
>
> Out of the 870 odd mb only 3 is on the lru.
>
> Would be grand it you could have a look at slabinfo and the like.

Ok, Marc, would you be able to do the copy to /dev/null again (booted
without the ram=2G option) and when you see that most of the memory
has gone run:

cat /proc/slabinfo > slabinfo.txt
cat /proc/meminfo > meminfo.txt
cat /proc/vmstat > vmstat.txt
cat /proc/zoneinfo > zoneinfo.txt

Then quickly abort the copy with "Ctrl+C" so hopefully you will not
get a kernel panic...

Please send the content of the generated files.  Thanks.

That should hopefully show what in the kernel has eaten all the low
memory...

Best regards,

	Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/