Date:	Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:06:15 +0530
From:	"Satyam Sharma" <satyam.sharma@...il.com>
To:	"Jeff Layton" <jlayton@...hat.com>
Cc:	"Andrew Morton" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Christoph Hellwig" <hch@...radead.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: iunique() fails to return ino_t (after commit 866b04fccbf125cd)

On 9/17/07, Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:58:54 +0530
> "Satyam Sharma" <satyam.sharma@...il.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > I think commit 866b04fccbf125cd39f2bdbcfeaa611d39a061a8 was wrong, and
> > introduced a regression.
> >
> > The "relevant" changelog [*] of that patch says:
> >

> > >  on filesystems w/o permanent inode numbers, i_ino values can be larger
> > >  than 32 bits, which can cause problems for some 32 bit userspace programs
> > >  on a 64 bit kernel.  We can't do anything for filesystems that have
> > >  actual >32-bit inode numbers, but on filesystems that generate i_ino
> > >  values on the fly, we should try to have them fit in 32 bits.  We could
> > >  trivially fix this by making the static counters in new_inode and iunique
> > >  32 bits [...]
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > When a 32-bit program that was not compiled with large file offsets does a
> > > stat and gets a st_ino value back that won't fit in the 32 bit field, glibc
> > > (correctly) generates an EOVERFLOW error.  We can't do anything about fs's
> > > with larger permanent inode numbers, but when we generate them on the fly,
> > > we ought to try and have them fit within a 32 bit field.
> > >
> > > This patch takes the first step toward this by making the static counters
> > > in these two functions be 32 bits.
> >

> > 1. First and foremost, there was nothing wrong with the existing code that
> >    needed to be "fixed" at all, i.e. there was no "problem" to be solved in
> >    the first place. As was said, glibc *correctly* returns EOVERFLOW when a
> >    userspace application built *without* _FILE_OFFSET_BITS == 64 (i.e.
> >    ino_t != __ino64_t) tries to stat(2) a file whose serial number does not
> >    fit in the "st_ino" member of struct stat. This behaviour is (1) correct,
> >    (2) explicitly mandated by the Single UNIX Specification, and, (3) all
> >    userspace programs *must* be prepared to deal with it. [ Should probably
> >    mention here that other implementations, such as Solaris, do conform with
> >    SUS here. ]
> >

> The ideal situation is that everyone would recompile their programs
> with LFS defines. Unfortunately people have old userspace programs to
> which they don't have sources, or that can't easily be recompiled this way.
> These programs would occasionally break when run on 64 bit kernels
> for the reasons I've described.

That's a bad excuse! Such userspace programs are buggy, period.
Let's fix *them*. And, seriously, are you *really* talking of "supporting"
userspace programs whose even *sources* are no longer available ?

The standard is clear and simple -- calls from userspace programs (that
don't define LFS) to stat(2) on a file whose serial number is >2**32 must
see EOVERFLOW. This is *not* a kernel problem that needs "fixing".

Moreover, changing a kernel function such as iunique() (which was expressly
*written* to be used by filesystems to assign ino_t to inodes) to return only
values <= 2**32 to satisfy such buggy programs is just ... bad.

BTW, you might've as well changed the type of "res" in iunique() in that
patch to "unsigned int" too. What's the point of declaring it "ino_t" if we
never assign it any value in the (ino_t - unsigned int) set in the first place?

> > 2. The patch has nothing to do with "32-bit userspace on 64-bit kernels" or
> >    compatibility modes whatsoever. It is unrelated and tangential that this
> >    behaviour is easy to reproduce on the above mentioned setup. Simply put,
> >    the issue is that a userspace program built *without* LFS tried to
> >    stat(2) a file with serial number > 2**32. Needless to say, this issue
> >    must be solved in the userspace program itself (either by (1) defining
> >    LFS, or, (2) making it aware of EOVERFLOW), and not in the kernel.
> >

> It most certainly does have something to do with 32 bit userspace on 64
> bit kernels.

No, it doesn't ...

> On a 32 bit kernel, new_inode and iunique generate no
> inode numbers >32 bits. On a 64 bit kernel, they do.

This is *unrelated*. It's completely immaterial how an inode managed to
get a serial number > 2**32. Whether it used iunique() running on a 64-bit
kernel, or it's own little implementation, or whatever. The *real* issue is with
the *userspace program* and not the kernel ... that's the whole point.

[ Also, you're assuming sizeof(long) == sizeof(int) for 32-bit kernels
  here, but okay, probably that's true for all supported targets ... ]

> This means that
> programs that are built this way may eventually fail on a 64 bit kernel
> when the inode counter grows large enough. Those programs will work
> indefinitely on a 32 bit kernel.

See below, for why such programs are buggy ...

> > 3. Solving a problem at a place where it does not exist naturally leads to
> >    other breakage. After 866b04fccbf125cd, iunique() no longer returns an
> >    ino_t, but only values <= 2**32, which limits the number of inodes on
> >    all filesystems that use that function. Needless to say, this is a
> >    *regression* w.r.t. previous kernels before that commit went in.
> >

> Why is this a problem? Filesystems that truly need that many more inodes
> are certainly able to generate one using a different scheme.

iunique() was (before you changed it) expressly written as a "free"
implementation for filesystems to allow them to assign serial numbers
to inodes. Before your patch went in, it allowed such filesystems (regardless
of whether they're persistent storage based or not) to have more than 2**32
inodes. After the said commit, not anymore. And all that, to solve a "problem"
that never existed in the kernel in the first place!

> Typically,
  ^^^^^^^^^
> the inode numbers generated by iunique and new_inode are only used by
> filesystems that have no permanent inode numbers of their own. In many
> cases, inode number uniqueness isn't even an issue as evidenced by the
> number of filesystems that simply use the number assigned by new_inode.

Nobody's discussing inode number "uniqueness" here ... again, that's
unrelated.

> This patch seems like a reasonable compromise to me. It allows us to
> keep these inode numbers below 32 bits on filesystems that don't care
> too much about what inode number they're using.

It also unjustly limits the number of inodes on filesystems that use
iunique() ...

> > 4. Last but not the least, the sample testcase program that was discussed
> >    on LKML last year to show this "problem" was buggy and wrong. A program
> >    built without LFS will also suffer EOVERFLOW when stat(2)'ing a file
> >    due to other reasons, such as filesize not fitting inside the "st_size"
> >    member. Do we propose to "fix" that "problem" in the kernel too ?
> >    Of course not!
> >

> Right, but that situation is the same regardless of whether you run it
> on a 32 or 64 bit kernel. The issue of inode numbers generated by
> new_inode and iunique crossing the 32-bit boundary, however, is not.

The point was that you still haven't eliminated EOVERFLOW for stat(2)
calls without LFS. And the point was also that *trying* to eliminate/avoid
the EOVERFLOW itself is a pointless activity, because there's nothing
wrong with that return.

> Can you elaborate why this testcase was buggy and wrong?

Because anybody who:

1. stat(2)'s on a file whose serial number is > 2**32, *and*,
2. also does not define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS == 64, *and*,
3. also does not deal with / be prepared to see an EOVERFLOW return
   from stat(2),

is obviously asking for trouble. That's where the bug is ... plain and simple
reading of the standard.

> It seems to me
> that it correctly demonstrated the issue. Just because there are other
> reasons that a program might get an EOVERFLOW doesn't mean that that one
> is invalid.

No, please read the standard. There is nothing "invalid" about the inode-number-
not-fitting-into-st_ino-giving-an-EOVERFLOW reason.

> > IMHO it's bad to change the kernel's behaviour to avoid buggy userspace
> > programs from seeing standard-mandated errors being returned from stat(2).
> >
> > So please reconsider that patch -- IMHO it clearly wasn't correct.
> >

> Again, I have to ask why you feel the current patch to be a problem.
> Ripping this patch out will reintroduce the problem already
> described.

It was never a problem (definitely not the kernel's) ... :-)

> Since I'm not clear on the issue you're seeing as a
> result of this patch, I'm not comfortable agreeing that it should
> be removed.

I'll turn this around. Please name one *real world* userspace application
for which your patch was a fix (so that I can go fix *that*, of course! :-)

Satyam