Date:	Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:43:54 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Matthew <jackdachef@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch/backport] CFS scheduler, -v22, for v2.6.23-rc8,
	v2.6.22.8, v2.6.21.7, v2.6.20.20

* Matthew <jackdachef@...il.com> wrote:

> both cpus have a continous load of ~ 70% right now so I'll be starting
> up 9 instances of glxgears, below are some output & details of my
> system (cpu frequency switching is disabled since it doesn't work
> right now with the current bios version)
>
> short summary: unfortunately after starting glxgears everything
> stuttered a lot, don't know if it's expactable during that heavy load
> - just wanted to let you know; after having closed each instance of
> glxgears, everything was fine again ...

> cpu#0, 2404.249 MHz
> cpu#1, 2404.249 MHz

> result: most times only 2-3 of the glxgears-windows were running, the
> rest was stuttering / halting (no motion) mouse movement was pretty
> discountinous, keyboard input was also delayed

how does it behave without the cfs patch applied? Does it work better
under v20.5? The best debug output for me to look at would be to
download these two scripts:

 http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/tools/cfs-debug-info.sh
 http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/tools/cfs-debug-info-clear.sh

first run cfs-debug-info-clear.sh, then use the system for a few minutes
and make sure apps are behaving in a 'stutter-free' way. Then run
cfs-debug-info.sh (still no glxgears running) - it will produce a "no
load" debug info file. Then start the 9x glxgears instances, reproduce
the "stuttering" behavior in the apps, and run cfs-debug-info.sh - this
will produce a second "under load" output file. Please send me both
output files.

also, what's the output of "glxgears -info" - does it render on real 3D
hardware, or uses the sw-mesa fallback?

	Ingo