Date:	Mon, 1 Oct 2007 02:44:17 +0200
From:	"Udo A. Steinberg" <us15@...inf.tu-dresden.de>
To:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: [2.6.23-rc8-mm2] System hangs (loops?) during boot

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 02:07:33 +0200 Frans Pop (FP) wrote:

FP> On Monday 01 October 2007, you wrote:
FP> > I was suggesting to download 2.6.23-rc8 and applying the -hrt patchset
FP> > at
FP> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tglx/hrtimers/2.6.23-rc8/
FP> > on top of it.
FP>
FP> Ah, OK. I'm afraid that was not at all clear from your previous
FP> message :-/

Yeah, sorry about that.

FP> During 'make oldconfig' I got a config question about "CPU idle
FP> support", which does not seem to be in rc8-mm2; is that correct? I
FP> answered N.

Shouldn't matter either way. Answering 'Y' gives you a more sophisticated
C-state governor that improves battery life.

FP> The system does boot with rc8 + hrt1.

Good. That seems to confirm my suspicion that the real problem is caused by
something in -mm which is not in -hrt. However, I have no idea what exactly
could be going wrong.

FP> Andrew: any suggestions on how to trace the "real" culprit for the hang?
FP>
FP>
FP> Udo: I did see one issue during boot with this rc8 + hrt1 kernel.
FP>      System is Debian unstable.
FP> Setting the system clock..
FP> select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

Thomas and Andrew are the best people to ask about what exactly has been
merged from -hrt into -mm. Maybe they can chime in here.

Cheers,

	- Udo

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)