Date:	Tue, 09 Oct 2007 20:52:10 -0700
From:	Jim Gifford <maillist@...55.com>
To:	Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Nvidia SATA - Seagate SATA Drives

Here's the situation. I have a MSI KN8Neo-f motherboard with a Seagate
Barracuda 250 GB SATA drive. I have replaced this drive three times in
the last two weeks due to it failing. Now the only thing in common is
the use of a 2.6.22.9 kernel I built from scratch, before that I was
using 2.6.19 kernel but working on doing some upgrades for the CLFS
project and tried a 2.6.22.9.  I will explain the situation and
including the links I used for fix the issues.

It boots up and instantly has a problem detecting so I have to add
irqpoll to my bootup line. {Reference
http://my.opera.com/snowburn/blog/index.dml/tag/failed%20to%20set%20xfermode}
Then I get the adma issue, so I add sata_nv.adma=0 to my bootup
line.{Reference
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0706.1/1424.html}

Now after a few times of booting the drive completely fails. So is the
nv_sata drive the cause?? Based on what I have done yes, and the reason
I can say that is because I took another one of those drives and the
same computer loaded Windows(forgive me for using this word!!!) on it
and it worked perfectly.

One other issue that showed up was the drive does not recognize the
drive when it's in the 3gb transfer mode, I have to jumper it to 1.5gb mode.

Here's a link to the drive model:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=a62099f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US
Here's a link to my motherboard:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4-F&class=mb
It has 2GB of Memory and a Nvidia PCI-E Graphics Adapter

I will work with any member of the lkml team to help isolate the issue,
the only issue is that when it locks up everything has to be written
down or photographed.

Jim Gifford - CLFS Developer
http://www.cross-lfs.org