Date:	Wed, 21 Nov 2007 01:01:27 +0100
From:	devzero@....de
To:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: System reboot triggered by just reading a device file....!?

>There is.. it's called "root privileges".
yes, true.

but - regardless of being a windows app or not - what if you want to take a look on your system as a whole, especially when using some tool which graphically shows how and where your diskspace is being used?  if i let this run from ordinary useraccount it would get lot`s of "permission denied"  and then it`s only telling half of the truth.....

>I'd say running pretty much anything through Wine as root is
> not a good idea, a Windows app could hose the system without even
> meaning to through exactly such things.
yes, true indeed. but maybe wine has an option to sandbox the windows app to do only r/o access.  if that feature doesn`t exist, (set r/o flag to dosdevices) maybe it would be an useful addon.
but that`s OT here....