Date:	Wed, 21 Nov 2007 01:32:48 +0000
From:	David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Kamalesh Babulal <kamalesh@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:	dhowells@...hat.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	apw@...dowen.org, balbir@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: Re: mm snapshot broken-out-2007-11-20-01-45.tar.gz uploaded

Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> > The patch
> > aout-suppress-aout-library-support-if-config_arch_supports_aout.patch,
> > creates a struct exec in linux/a.out.h and asm/a.out.h already has it, for
> > the struct related warnings.

Nothing should be including {asm,linux}/a.out.h unless it absolutely needs it.
I removed all the places it did so extraneously, after moving out STACK_TOP.

> OK, I've had it with trying to get that patch to vaguely work.  I'll drop
> it and will then fix up the extensive dependency trail which it drags along
> behind it.
>
> David, please do not bring it back until it has had a *lot* of testing.

It compiles for all the archs for which I have a compiler, and the x86_64 and
i386 kernels all build and boot for the following combinations of AOUT
configs:

	x86_64	CONFIG_IA32_AOUT=n
		CONFIG_IA32_AOUT=y
		CONFIG_IA32_AOUT=m
	i386	CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=n
		CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
		CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m

It seems I had forgetten to include:

	config ARCH_SUPPORTS_AOUT
		def_bool y

in arch/x86/Kconfig, but it builds without that too for both subarchs.

The kernel also builds and boots for MN10300 and FRV.

The problem is that your -mm patchset doesn't match Linus's as a base.  I'm
still not sure what the right procedure is for that.  I can give you some
altered patches, but there's no guarantee you'll be able to pass them on to
Linus without breaking his tree.  What do *you* want?

David