Date:	Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:17:04 -0700
From:	"Raymano Garibaldi" <raymano@...nos.com>
To:	"Alan Stern" <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	"Andrew Morton" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Denys Vlasenko" <vda.linux@...glemail.com>,
	"Kernel development list" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"USB development list" <linux-usb-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] [BUG] USB_PERSIST

The device which has the root fs is a READ-ONLY device. There is no
way for it to change between getting detached and reattached to the
computer which is suspended. In such a case there is no possibility of
hibernation because there is nothing to write back to.

I understand that this is currently considered a feature but I am
arguing here that there should also be another feature that allows
this  to work under suspend to ram the same as it does with suspend to
disk (hibernation).

Here's a scenario:

1) You are at the airport working on a laptop without a hard drive,
which you have booted up using a live USB distro on a read-only USB
key drive.

2) You want to board your plane so you suspend your laptop. You can't
keep the USB stick in your laptop because you can not fit the laptop
back in the bag with the USB stick still attached. So you detach the
USB stick while the laptop is still suspended.

3) You get on the plane and after some time when you are allowed to
work again you stick back in the USB stick, resume the laptop and
continue work where you left off.

This scenario is not currently possible with the any kernel after
2.6.22. It is a very important missing feature.

And yes. This feature does work under the 2.6.21 kernel, exactly
because the kernel did not have  the USB suspend and persist feature
available. Under the 2.6.21 kernel, during suspend, the kernel is
totally unaware of what is happening to the USB device so nothing
happens when the USB device is detached and reattached while the
computer is suspended, hence making the described scenario above
possible. I currently, and very frequently, use this feature on my
live USB distro, FaunOS which uses kernel 2.6.21.

Thank you,

Raymano G.