Date:	Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:59:42 +0100
From:	Carsten Otte <cotte@...ibm.com>
To:	Jared Hulbert <jaredeh@...il.com>
CC:	Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>, carsteno@...ibm.com,
	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>,
	Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@...ibm.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>
Subject: Re: [patch] ext2: xip check fix

Jared Hulbert wrote:
> I think so.  The filemap_xip.c functionality doesn't work for Flash
> memory yet.  Flash memory doesn't have struct pages to back it up with
> which this stuff depends on.
Struct page is not the major issue. The primary problem is writing to
the media (and I am not a flash expert at all, just relaying here):
For some period of time, the flash memory is not usable and thus we
need to make sure we can nuke the page table entries that we have in
userland page tables. For that, we need a callback from the device so
that it can ask to get its references back. Oh, and a put_xip_page
counterpart to get_xip_page, so that the driver knows when it's safe
to erase.

cheers,
Carsten