Date:	Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:50:30 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Matt Mackall <mpm@...enic.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>
Subject: Re: tipc_init(), WARNING: at arch/x86/mm/highmem_32.c:52,
	[2.6.24-rc4-git5: Reported regressions from 2.6.23]

* Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Dec 8, 2007 10:29 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu> wrote:
> > so it has a "free list", which is clearly per cpu. Hang on! Isnt that
> > actually a per CPU queue? Which SLUB has not, we are told? The "U" in
> > SLUB. How on earth can an allocator in 2007 claim to have no queuing
> > (which is in essence caching)? Am i on crack with this? Did i miss
> > something really obvious?
>
> I think you did. The difference is explained in Christoph's
> announcement:
>
> "A particular concern was the complex management of the numerous
> object queues in SLAB. SLUB has no such queues. Instead we dedicate a
> slab for each allocating CPU and use objects from a slab directly
> instead of queueing them up."
>
> Which, I think, is where SLUB gets its name from (the "unqueued"
> part).

yes, i understand the initial announcement (and the Kconfig entry still
says the same), but that is not matched up by the reality i see in the
actual code - SLUB clearly uses a queue/list of objects (as cited in my
previous mail), for obvious performance reasons.

unless i'm missing something obvious (and i easily might), i see SLUB as
SLAB reimplemented with a different queueing model. Not "without
queueing".

> Now, while SLAB code is "pleasant and straightforward code" (thanks,
> btw) for UMA, it's really hairy for NUMA plus the "alien caches" eat
> tons of memory (which is why Christoph wrote SLUB in the first place,
> the current code in SLAB is mostly unfixable due to its *queuing*
> nature).

i'm curious about the real facts behind this "alien cache problem". I
heard about it and asked around and was told that there's some sort of
bad quadratic behavior of memory consumption on NUMA - but i cannot
actually see that in the code.

The alien caches feature of SLAB i see as a spread out clustered
index/cache of objects on other nodes. It's not increasing the average
per object memory consumption per se! The number of alien caches
increases with increasing number of nodes, but _of course_, as memory
size increases too so there's more stuff and a larger expected spreadout
of memory to keep track of. ("Fixing" that would be like reintroducing a
single runqueue for the scheduler, based on the argument that it's an
O(1) number of runqueues against O(N) number of runqueues - which would
be complete nonsense.)

so i see SLAB alien caches as an automatic self-partitioning mechanism
... which has complexities but which also has _obvious_ performance
benefits. Yes, it has some disadvantages like all caching schemes do -
there's more cached memory tied up in the allocator at any given moment
- but arguing against that would be like arguing against a 2MB L2 cache
purely on the basis that a 1MB L2 cache is smaller and hence more
space-efficient. Caches are there to cache stuff, and more caches ...
use more memory. It's all a question of proportion and tuning, but the
_design_ should be based on having as thorough caching as possible.

	Ingo