Date:	Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:54:41 -0500
From:	Mark Lord <liml@....ca>
To:	trash can <thetrashcan@...thlink.net>
Cc:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	ide <linux-ide@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Iomega ZIP-100 drive unsupported with jmicron JMB361 chip?

trash can wrote:
..
> Robert Hancock wrote:
>> That is rather curious. There's no sign of any libata error handling
>> going on.. Maybe the drive is actually returning that error code in the
>> ATAPI CDB, or at least we think it is?
>>
>> You are sure that this drive still works with older kernels using
>> drivers/ide, and that the hardware didn't break at some point, I assume?
>>
> Thanks for your time. I get a kernel panic with the controller mode in BIOS
> set to AHCI with Fedora Core 6. Once returned to IDE (setting used since
> computer was built) I booted up. Added information: In Fedora 7 I can not
> burn DVDs or CDROM using K3b with the Zip drive connected. Some
> preformatting (I assume) is done rendering the CD/DVD useless then got an
> I/O error. In Fedora 8 I am able to burn a CDROM using K3b but DVDs behave
> as with Fedora 7. All is well when the Zip is totaly removed. This Zip
> drive also worked under Microsoft 2000 { which was removed over a year
> ago ;-) }. Fedora Core 6, Fedora 7, and Fedora 8 are all installed on
> this machine. This drive did not work with a Ubuntu 7.10 Live CD on this
> machine. I intend to try this Zip drive on another motherboard with the
> above live CD.

I missed the early part of this thread,
but here is a data point that may or may not be useful.

I have an ASUS mobo here with an onboard JM363 SATA/PATA controller
(verified by looking at the actual chip).

It works fine when in AHCI mode with a PATA ATAPI ZIP100 drive
all by itself.  No other configurations tested.
This is with kernel 2.6.24-rc4-git?.

Cheers