Date:	Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:49:19 +0100
From:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	andi@...stfloor.org, mtk.manpages@...glemail.com,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, lkml@...idb.org, paulus@...ba.org,
	drepper@...hat.com, cfriesen@...tel.com, schwab@...e.de,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: compat_sys_times() bogus until jiffies >= 0.

> I'm suggesting that you set the condition codes based upon whether
> there is an error or not.

And the only way the syscall code could find out if there is an error is by
checking err < 0 && err >= -4096 like glibc (except for the compat
syscall on 64bit kernel case)

Or rewrite all code that returns errors to system calls to pass
a separate flag too.

> That is the critical thing x86 doesn't do
> that all the other platforms do.

It doesn't do it because it's useless without a kernel rewrite.

I frankly doubt it really works on Sparc :-) Maybe it could work
there on a hypothetical rewritten kernel, but not today.

-Andi