Date:	Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:53:15 +0100
From:	Pierre Ossman <drzeus@...eus.cx>
To:	"raki john" <raki4652@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Order of Loading mmc driver modules.

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:40:22 -0800
"raki john" <raki4652@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am working with pxamci driver(2.6.22.1). I have made , core and host
> as  separate modules.
>
> what is the correct order of loading the modules
>
> i am doing in this order first core (mmc_core.ko), then card(mmc_block.ko)
> after that host driver ( pxamci.ko). Is this correct.

If you're using just insmod, then yes, this is a valid order. The only thing that is crucial is that mmc_core is loaded before any of the other. If you use modprobe that will happen automatically.

> I do not know much about Linux device model.

There's lots of info on the web and in the Documentation/ directory of the kernel source if you want to indulge yourself.

> i saw that pxamci.ko driver registers it self as platform_driver. When
> does its probe function is called. Is it called immediately  after
> platform_driver_register(&pxamci_driver) is called.

For pxamci, yes. More specifically, the probe function is called when there is both a driver (created by platform_driver_register()) and a device (platform_device_register()) available. But since the device is added very early in the pxamci case, the magic will happen when the driver registers.

> also in card driver (mmc_block.ko) in block.c  file i saw a probe
> function(mmc_blk_probe). How does it is invoked .

When the corresponding device is registered. In this case it is whenever a card is detected and initialized.

Rgds
Pierre

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (198 bytes)