Date:	Thu, 03 Jan 2008 10:47:43 -0500
From:	Mark Lord <liml@....ca>
To:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>
Cc:	Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>, Allen Martin <AMartin@...dia.com>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>, Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>,
	Gabor Gombas <gombasg@...aki.hu>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, Kuan Luo <kluo@...dia.com>,
	Peer Chen <pchen@...dia.com>
Subject: Re: sata_nv + ADMA + Samsung disk problem

Mark Lord wrote:
> Robert Hancock wrote:
>> Mark Lord wrote:
>>> Robert Hancock wrote:
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>>
>>> Assuming that NVidia got their ADMA core logic from Pacific Digital
>>> (the inventors), then it may have some of the same bugs as the original.
>>>
>>> One of those bugs is that the aGO trigger is sampled in a "racey" way,
>>> such that it sometimes may miss a recent addition to the ring.
>>>
>>> The *only* way to guarantee things with the original Pacific Digital core
>>> was to (1) always retrigger aGO for a full ring scan with each new addition,
>>> and (2) poll periodically (every half second or so) rather than relying
>>> exclusively on the IRQ actually working..
>>>
>>> Dunno about the NVidia version.
>>
>> Theirs works rather differently - the GO bit is there, but there's another append register which is used to tell the controller that a new tag has been added to the CPB list.
> ..
>
> The PacDigi core uses a "search count" register for that purpose,
> but the buggy nature of the core required that it always be set
> to "2 * ring_size" to ensure nothing got missed.
>
> Here's some comments from the original ADMA driver.
> Maybe something from here might help with the NV stuff, too.
>
>       // There is a chance that the chip will skip over a CPB if a SERVICE interrupt
>        // occurs while it's reading the CPB header.  This won't cause us to get
>        // stuck anywhere, but it might slow down execution of the new CPB if
>        // it has to wait for the next time we hit aGO.  So.. Dxxx/Dxxx suggest
>        // that all we need to do is tell the chip to do two passes around the ring
>        // from an aGO instead of one pass, so that it will find the "missed" CPB
>        // on the second pass.  This isn't as bad as it first looks.
>        //
>        writew(channel->num_cpbs * 2, &adma_regs->cpb_search_count);
>
> Or again, the NV stuff may be completely different (?).
..

Another thing about the PacDigi core:  one has to be very careful
to avoid sequential accesses to sequential PCI locations when
programming the chip -- it cannot handle merged register writes.

So for any group of sequentially laid out registers, the code has
to ensure it never writes two adjacent registers in sequence..

-ml