Date:	Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:23:10 +0100
From:	Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@...uu.se>
To:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux RAID list <linux-raid@...r.kernel.org>,
	Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>
Subject: Re: The SX4 challenge

Jeff Garzik writes:

 > Promise just gave permission to post the docs for their PDC20621 (i.e.
 > SX4) hardware:
 > http://gkernel.sourceforge.net/specs/promise/pdc20621-pguide-1.2.pdf.bz2
 >
 > joining the existing PDC20621 DIMM and PLL docs:
 > http://gkernel.sourceforge.net/specs/promise/pdc20621-pguide-dimm-1.6.pdf.bz2
 > http://gkernel.sourceforge.net/specs/promise/pdc20621-pguide-pll-ata-timing-1.2.pdf.bz2
 >

 > So, the SX4 is now open.  Yay :)  I am hoping to talk Mikael into
 > becoming the sata_sx4 maintainer, and finally integrating my 'new-eh'
 > conversion in libata-dev.git.

The best solution would be if some storage driver person would
take on the SX4 challenge and work towards integrating the SX4
into Linux' RAID framework.

If no-one steps forward I'll take over Jeff's SX4 card and just
maintain sata_sx4 as a plain non-RAID driver. Unfortunately I
don't have the time needed to turn it into a decent RAID or
RAID-offload driver myself.

/Mikael