Date:	Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:21:32 +0100
From:	Joe <zentrale.at.work@...il.com>
To:	Rafael Sisto <rafael.sisto@...il.com>
CC:	Linux kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: create a file in kernel mode. help please!

Hi Rafael.

Probably you haven't got any answers yet because you should NEVER EVER
(i repeat: NEVER EVER, not even in college projects) go for file I/O in
the kernel. You might want to think the whole thing over one or two
times, i think.

If it comes to you that it is absolutely necessary (i repeat again:
ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, like a solution to feed the world) then you might
google for some ancient FAQ of Greg (K-H) (i think he was) where he
tries to give a little more details about this kind of problem, and also
gives a possible solution, IIRC. Sorry that i don't remember the exact
page/adress anymore, for i intend never to look at it again.

Greetz
Joe

Rafael Sisto schrieb:
> Hi there,
> obviously this is a newbie question, but I couldn't find any
> documentation on how to do it.. I tried several ways but couldnt do
> it.
> I designed a system call, so a user will call it, and a new file will
> be created ('/tmp/filexx'). After that, I have another system call,
> that will map the file into the maps of the user process. The idea is
> the same as IPC...
>
> I managed to create the file with this function (in the first system call):
>         fd = filp_open(path, O_CREAT | O_RDWR , 777);
>
> After that, the user will call another system call, and it will map
> this file to the process maps.
> something like this:
>          filp_open(route, O_RDWR,0 );
>          do_mmap(fp, 0, tamano, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE | PROT_EXEC,
> MAP_SHARED, 0);
>
> After I call the second system call, the user tries to access the
> memory, but gets the message "Bus Error".
> I tried to manually create a file with vi, and then use the second
> system call, and worked perfectly. I could use the shared memory
> without problems.
>
> The problems seems to be in the first system call (with filp_open),
> when I try to create a new file... Can somebody suggest me something,
> on how I could fix this issue?? It is very important because it is for
> a college projects.
>
> Greetings, and thanks in advance for the answers.
> Rafael Sisto - Uruguay.-
> --

Sepp "ZaP" Holzmayr

please reply to: