Date:	Tue, 22 Jan 2008 06:03:02 +0000
From:	Chris Clayton <chris2553@...glemail.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Silent crash witk 2-6.24-rc8-git4

Hi,

Firstly, I'm not subscribed, so please cc me into any reply.

I've found that I can cause my laptop (DEll Latitude C610) to crash silently
(other than blinking LEDs) with stock 2.6.24-rc8{,-git2,-git3,-git4} kernels.
I suspect the problem is related to the rt61pci driver, so I've cc'd
linux-wireless.

All I have to do to cause the crash is run the following script on the laptop

#!/bin/sh
for i in `seq 1 100`; do
    echo $i > itercount
    rm -f linux-2.6.23.tar.bz2
    wget ftp://192.168.1.10/pub/linux-2.6.23.tar.bz2
done

The crash will occur usually during the first iteration (and often in the
first 12 megabytes), but never later than the second.

I suspect the rt61pci driver because if I down wlan0 and connect to my network
via eth0, the laptop never crashes (and I've let it run for 50 or so
iterations). Similarly, if I build and install -git4 without the in-tree
rt61pci driver and build and install the out-of-tree rt61 driver from
serialmonkey.com (20071117 snapshot), the script runs fine, although I admit
that I stopped it after eight iterations.

My config, the output, from lspci -vv and the contents of syslog from a crash
are attached. The wireless adapter is a Belkin F5D7010.

Other than maybe a little later on tonight, I won't have much time to give
this further attention over the next couple of days, but I thought it best to
give a heads-up now.

Thanks in advance

Chris

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

View attachment "laptop-config" of type "text/plain" (48544 bytes)

View attachment "syslog" of type "text/plain" (27737 bytes)

View attachment "lspi-vv" of type "text/plain" (7995 bytes)