Date:	Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:55:42 +0100
From:	Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@...management.at>
To:	netatalk-admins@...ts.sourceforge.net
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: netatalk slow after system upgrade (possibly kernel problem?)

Dear lists,

I've been spending a LOT of time trying to find out where's the problem,
but can't find it and therefore seek urgent help now. We have the
following system:

Server with VMware server
-> VM running a webserver and netatalk
-> 2 other VMs not related

The VM with netatalk was SUSE 10.0 with kernel 2.6.13-15.15-smp (from
SUSE), and things were pretty fun and quick. Then we upgraded to SUSE
10.2 and now 10.3, where everything EXCEPT netatalk runs perfect. Since
this upgrade, Apple clients (MacOS X) now do READ very very slowly
(about 512KB/s over the gigabit LAN), while writing to the server still
is normal (>20MB/s). I've even retried with the newest kernel
2.6.23.13, tried different /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control
(cubic, reno, bic, etc.) and nothing helps. I've then tried to install
Samba and found that we have similar problems reading with it from
MacOS clients. Now I'm pretty sure it should be something with the
linux kernel, but I don't understand what.

Here are the wireshark dumps in pcap format:
http://zmi.at/x/atalk-write-fast.pcap
-> you can see writing to the server (192.168.120.9) is normal and fast

http://zmi.at/x/atalk-read-slow.pcap
-> reading is horribly slow. Lots of "unknown", because of netatalk or
what?

http://zmi.at/x/unknown-atalk.pcap
-> another dump while reading, you see "unknown" reads. I'm not sure if
it's just wireshark not understanding the packets or netatalk.

And trying with samba:
http://zmi.at/x/smb-read-slow.pcap
http://zmi.at/x/smb-write-quick.pcap
you can see that it's also slow.

Now why did it work with the old 2.6.13 kernel? I still have that old
VM, and when I start it, it is always perfectly fast. Only newer
versions are slow. Can somebody give me a hint please?

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0676/846 914 666                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                   Key-ID: 1C1209B4

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (195 bytes)