Date:	Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:31:57 -0500
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
To:	Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@...ervon.org>
Cc:	Richard Heck <rgheck@...jweil.com>, Zan Lynx <zlynx@....org>,
	Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@...il.com>,
Subject: Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

On Monday 28 January 2008, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 28 January 2008, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
>> >Building this and installing it along with the appropriate initrd (which
>> >might be handled by Fedora's install scripts)
>>
>> Or mine, which I've been using for years.
>
>You're ahead of a surprising number of people, including me, if you
>understand making initrds.

In my script, its one line:
mkinitrd -f initrd-$VER.img $VER && \

where $VER is the shell variable I edit to = the version number, located at
the top of the script.

Unforch, its failing:
No module pata_amd found for kernel 2.6.24, aborting.

This is with pata_amd turned off and its counterpart under ATA/RLL/etc turned
on.  So something is still dependent on it.  I do have one sata drive, on an
accessory card in the box, so I need the rest of the sata_sil and friends
stuff.  Its my virtual tapes for amanda.  Also home built, the amanda
security model cannot be successfully bent into the shape of an rpm.  They
BTW are #2 on coverity's list of most secure software.

So I've rebuilt 2.6.24 as it originally was, and added the acpi timer line to
the 2.6.24-rc8 stanza's kernel argument list.  It will boot one or the other
when I next reboot.  Its been about 8 hours since the last error was logged,
which is totally weirdsville to this old fart.  Phase of the moon maybe?  The
visit to the sawbones to see about my heart?  They are going to fit me with a
30 day recorder tomorrow, my skip a beat problem is getting worse.  The sort
of stuff that goes with the 7nth decade I guess.  Officially, I'm wearing out
me, too much sugar, too many times nearly electrocuted=shingles yadda
yadda. :-)  Oh, and don't forget Arther, he moved in uninvited about 25 years
ago too.  Those people that talk about the golden years?  They're full of
excrement...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)