Date:	Tue, 29 Jan 2008 05:23:52 +0100
From:	Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>
To:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
Cc:	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: down_killable implementations for every architecture

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 00:19, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> As part of the TASK_KILLABLE changes, we're going to need
> down_killable().  Unfortunately, semaphores are implemented for every
> architecture, which we should probably fix at some point.

It would be best to just change it now before doing further changes. Right now
we have the bizarre situation that semaphores are more optimized
with fast path inline assembly code than the far more critical spinlocks.
But that clearly doesn't make much sense. So the best approach would
be likely to just pick some generic C implementation from some architecture
and use it everywhere.

-Andi