Date:	Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:07:45 -0800
From:	Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	davem@...emloft.net, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	kay.sievers@...y.org
Subject: Re: partition sysfs OOPS in current GIT

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 03:57:49PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > How is it working for anyone else then?  sparc64 isn't doing anything
> > "odd" with it's block devices, is it?
> >
> > > I'm pretty sure the following changeset is to blame:
> > >
> > > commit edfaa7c36574f1bf09c65ad602412db9da5f96bf
> > > Author: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@...y.org>
> > > Date:   Mon May 21 22:08:01 2007 +0200
> > >
> > >     Driver core: convert block from raw kobjects to core devices
> > >
> > >     This moves the block devices to /sys/class/block. It will create a
> > >     flat list of all block devices, with the disks and partitions in one
> > >     directory. For compatibility /sys/block is created and contains symlinks
> > >     to the disks.
> >
> > So I'm guessing if you revert this it works?
>
> Going offtopic here...
>
> The patch was committed to mainline last week and it has a git timestamp
> from eight months ago.  When you received the original email from Kay.
>
> But the patch changed in that time period.  This doesn't seem right?

The patch did change over time, but not that much, minor bugfixes for
it.  I didn't think to update the original date in the quilt file,
sorry.  It was in -mm for quite a while, so I thought it got a good
enough testing period.

I'll try to remember to update the timestamp on patches that get
updated, it's a pretty rare thing for my patchflow, shouldn't be hard to
remember.

thanks,

greg k-h