Date:	Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:37:14 -0600
From:	Chase Venters <chase.venters@...entec.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	git@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Question about your git habits

I've been making myself more familiar with git lately and I'm curious what
habits others have adopted. (I know there are a few documents in circulation
that deal with using git to work on the kernel but I don't think this has
been specifically covered).

My question is: If you're working on multiple things at once, do you tend to
clone the entire repository repeatedly into a series of separate working
directories and do your work there, then pull that work (possibly comprising
a series of "temporary" commits) back into a separate local master
respository with --squash, either into "master" or into a branch containing
the new feature?

Or perhaps you create a temporary topical branch for each thing you are
working on, and commit arbitrary changes then checkout another branch when
you need to change gears, finally --squashing the intermediate commits when a
particular piece of work is done?

I'm using git to manage my project and I'm trying to determine the most
optimal workflow I can. I figure that I'm going to have an "official" master
repository for the project, and I want to keep the revision history clean in
that repository (ie, no messy intermediate commits that don't compile or only
implement a feature half way).

On older projects I was using a certalized revision control system like
*cough* Subversion *cough* and I'd create separate branches which I'd check
out into their own working trees.

It seems to me that having multiple working trees (effectively, cloning
the "master" repository every time I need to make anything but a trivial
change) would be most effective under git as well as it doesn't require
creating messy, intermediate commits in the first place (but allows for them
if they are used). But I wonder how that approach would scale with a project
whose git repo weighed hundreds of megs or more. (With a centralized rcs, of
course, you don't have to lug around a copy of the whole project history in
each working tree.)

Insight appreciated, and I apologize if I've failed to RTFM somewhere.

Thanks,
Chase