Date:	Sun, 24 Feb 2008 01:48:39 +0100
From:	Richard Knutsson <ricknu-0@...dent.ltu.se>
Subject: Tabs, spaces, indent and 80 character lines

Good evening

In the thread "Merging of completely unreviewed drivers" I got reminded
of the "use tabs not spaces"-mentality.
My question is: why?

The tab-character serves us well as a indent-indicator, but for some
reason there has been focus on its relation to spaces. On the question
"How long should a line at maximum be?" it is relevant (the question is
not [1]). So it is set to be as wide as 8 spaces, but when did it become
a replacement for 8 spaces? Why hinder a developer who prefer 2, 4, 6 or
any other != 8 width? By only using tabs as indents, and changing the
CodeStyle to be something like "maximum 80 characters-wide lines, with a
tab-setting of 8 spaces", that is possible + easier to write
code-checkers [2].

Or are we really that concerned about the disk-space? ;)

2 cents away...
/Richard Knutsson

[1] As has been pointed out by many, it is the complexity that matters
(code-checker). A short line can be overly complicated and still under
80 lines and vice versa. Let the editors handle the long lines for the
author (even I should be able to write a decent script who can decide
where to chop-off the line).

[2] As it is now, it can look like the indentation is ex. ... 2, 2, 5,
3, 3... because the second line is split up. (I think it should have
been 2, 2, 2, 3, 3 (or even better: 2, 2, 3, 3 ))