Date:	Sun, 2 Mar 2008 21:43:39 -0600
From:	"Steve French" <smfrench@...il.com>
To:	git@...r.kernel.org, lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	"Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: kernel.org git tree corrupt?

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

>  On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Steve French wrote:
>  >
>  > In preparation for a merge request I do
>  >     cg-diff -m -r origin: | diffstat -p1
>  > (git diff -m -r origin: shows the same problem) and
>  >     cg-log -m -r origin:
>
>  First off, you really should lay off the cogito thing
no problem

>   - look at your .git/config file to make sure that the remote branches are
>    sane. It should have something like this (and if it doesn't, add it):
>
>         [remote "origin"]
>                 url = git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6
>                 fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
>
>         [branch "master"]
>                 remote = origin
>                 merge = refs/heads/master
.git/config now includes

[core]
        repositoryformatversion = 0
        filemode = true
        bare = false
        logallrefupdates = true
[remote "origin"]
        url = /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master

>   - look at your "origin" branch, and make sure it's a *remote* branch, not
>    the old-style local one. Ie it should *not* show up when you do a
>    plain
>
>         git branch
now only shows "* master"

>    but it *should* show up (as both "origin/HEAD" and "origin/master")
>    when you do
>
>         git branch -a
Now "git branch -a" shows
* master
  origin/master

It is missing "origin/HEAD"
>   - now do "git log origin" an it should show something recent
git log origin and git log origin/master both return
"ambiguous argument 'origin': unknown revision"

I must be misunderstanding the syntax/manpage of git-log but "git diff
-m -r origin/master"
now works fine and displays exactly what I expect so things have improved.

>  Now your setup should be ok again. I *suspect* that what has happened is
>  that you got a local "origin" branch - probably through cogito - that hid
>  the remote one.
This seems plausible and

--
Thanks,