Date:	Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:11:46 -0700
From:	"Adam J. Richter" <adam@...drasil.com>
To:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
Cc:	"Adam J. Richter" <adam@...drasil.com>, pshou@...ltek.com.tw,
	matt.jared@...el.com, andy.kopp@...el.com, dan.d.kogan@...el.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: intel-hda sound too quiet in linux-2.6.25-rc6

Hi Takashi,

	Thank you for your quick response.  Your suggested alsa
commands seem to have worked.  Here is a more detailed response in
case the information contained below might be helpful.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:15:53AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
[...]
> This is likely a missing volume setting.  With the upgrade to 2.6.25,
> you may have a different mixer representation and the udev or init
> script didn't restore the old mixer setting properly (typicall missing
> -F option to alsactl).  Also note that aumix doesn't cover all volume
> controls since it's an OSS app.

	I would think that these new volume controls should be made to
default to whatever setting leaves the volume unmodified (usually
"100%"), to minimize disruption and to preserve support for pure OSS
systems.  I would be interested to know if there is some consideration
that outweighs this.

> Anyway, there is too little hardware information here.  Please show
> the output of alsa-info.sh:
> 	http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh

	I ran this script, and it only showed me the dialog program
getting a segmentation fault (probably my fault), but perhaps the
following information will be helpful:

% lspci -s 14.2
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
% lspci -n -s 14.2
00:14.2 0403: 1002:4383

	Vendor 0x1002, product 0x4383 in sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c has
a pci_device_id entry with AZX_DRIVER_ATI in the extra data field.

	Also, Jeff Garzik's posting about having a similar problem
with a chip described by lspci as "Audio device: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)"
appears to correspond to PCI vendor 0x8086, PCI device ID 0x27d8,
which has AZX_DRIVER_ICH.

> In most cases, running the following commands solves the mixer issue:
>
> 	% amixer set Master unmute 80%
> 	% amixer set Front unmute 100%
> 	% amixer set Headphone unmute 100%

	Thank you.  These commands give me approximately the old
volume levels.  In particular, the middle command seems to be the one
that effected the volume that I could hear.

	I hope the little bit of information about the PCI IDs that I
was able to provide above will be helpful.  Thanks again for your
quick response.

Adam J. Richter