Date:	Thu, 20 Mar 2008 23:10:20 -0300
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	Richard Purdie <rpurdie@...ys.net>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	David Brownell <david-b@...bell.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Subject: Re: use of preempt_count instead of in_atomic() at leds-gpio.c

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, Richard Purdie wrote:
> The LED interface said that the brightness_set implementation should not
> sleep since it was intended to be a 'cheap' function and to allow LED
> triggers changing the LED brightness to be simple. A lot of embedded LED
> hardware doesn't need to sleep to toggle gpios.

So far so good.

> Some drivers do have a problem with that however and its usually been
> suggested they offload the brightness changes into a workqueue. The gpio

Also good.  But the fact is, the LED core *does* know when it is calling
from a scheduleable context (e.g. from sysfs handlers), and that's not an
uncommon path either.

The trigger code is more complicated, I don't know if most of its calls to
brightness_set are in safe or unsafe contexts for sleep.  But the people
calling the trigger code certainly would.

> * fix the gpio driver not to be so clever and clearly document
> * move the workqueue into the LED class, use it for everyone and remove
> the limitation of the function (punishes the hardware which doesn't need
> to sleep)
> * move the workqueue into the LED class and have LED drivers state
> whether they can sleep or not
> * start passing around GFP_* flags
>
> Passing flags around and maintaining a track of schedulable state for
> the LED class sounds like overkill. I also don't like the idea of

It is the preferred way to do these things.  If you don't do it like that,
both gpio and *all* ACPI-based LED devices will have to always defer to
workqueues.

> So I'm leaning towards 'fixing' the gpio driver as I think David has
> already offered. I will also improve the documentation on this function
> and its requirements as I agree the current isn't as clear as it should
> be.

And we will have to always defer to workqueues on drivers that can't operate
from an atomic/interrupt context?  Even when there would be no need for it
because brightness_set is not being called from an non-scheduleable context
at all?

I hope I can live with that for LEDs (I have to think about LED
brightness_get first before I am sure about that), but I don't like it at
all for the long term.

  Henrique Holschuh