Date:	Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:01:53 -0400
From:	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...ymtl.ca>
To:	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>
Cc:	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	Jason Baron <jbaron@...hat.com>, Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>,
	Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>, akpm@...l.org
Subject: Re: [patch 11/17] Implement immediate update via stop_machine_run

* KOSAKI Motohiro (kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com) wrote:
> Hi
>
> > -Updating immediate values, cannot rely on smp_call_function() b/c synchronizing
> >  cpus using IPIs leads to deadlocks. Process A held a read lock on
> >  tasklist_lock, then process B called apply_imv_update(). Process A received the
> >  IPI and begins executing ipi_busy_loop(). Then process C takes a write lock
> >  irq on the task list lock, before receiving the IPI. Thus, process A holds up
> >  process C, and C can't get an IPI b/c interrupts are disabled. Solve this
> >  problem by using a new 'ALL_CPUS' parameter to stop_machine_run(). Which
> >  runs a function on all cpus after they are busy looping and have disabled
> >  irqs. Since this is done in a new process context, we don't have to worry
> >  about interrupted spin_locks. Also, less lines of code. Has survived 24 hours+
> >  of testing...
>
> it seems this patch is must, Why do you separate patch [10/17] and [11/17]?
> this patch remove almost portion of [10/17].
> IMHO these patch merge into 1 patch is better.

Hi Kosaki,

You are right, I will merge them and resend them in the following post.

> > +static int stop_machine_imv_update(void *imv_ptr)
> > +{
> > +	struct __imv *imv = imv_ptr;
> > +
> > +	if (!wrote_text) {
>
> it seems racy.
> Why don't need test_and_set?
>
> I think your stop_machine_run(ALL_CPUS) call fn concurrency...

The answer to this mistery is in include/linux/stop_machine.h modified
by add-all-cpus-option-to-stop-machine-run.patch :

 /**
  * stop_machine_run: freeze the machine on all CPUs and run this function
  * @fn: the function to run
  * @data: the data ptr for the @fn()
- * @cpu: the cpu to run @fn() on (or any, if @cpu == NR_CPUS.
+ * @cpu: if @cpu == n, run @fn() on cpu n
+ *       if @cpu == NR_CPUS, run @fn() on any cpu
+ *       if @cpu == ALL_CPUS, run @fn() first on the calling cpu, and then
+ *       concurrently on all the other cpus
  *
  * each of which disables interrupts, and finally interrupts are disabled

Therefore, the first execution of the function is done before all other
executions.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--