Date:	Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:23:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
cc:	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>,
	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>, Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>, Yinghai.Lu@....com
Subject: Re: [bug] SLUB + mm/slab.c boot crash in -rc9

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> btw., now with a second full day spent on this regression, i have
> figured out a workaround the hard way: increasing SECTION_SIZE_BITS in
> include/asm-x86/sparsemem.h from 26 to 27 makes it go away.

Interesting.

I wonder..

So since you don't have NUMA, you have NODES_SHIFT == 0.

That in turn means that NODE_NOT_IN_PAGE_FLAGS is _not_ set.

That, in turn, means that ZONEID_SHIFT does *not* contain SECTIONS_SHIFT.
Is that really what is supposed to happen?

Because then "page_is_buddy()" will not even test the section, as far as I
can tell.

But I'm probably missing something. Why would we not need to test the
section in page_zone_id() when the node ID is in the page flags (but has
zero size)?

		Linus