Date:	Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:39:55 +0200
From:	Giordano Battilana <jordan83@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Kernel crash report - maybe triggered by the bluetooth system

Hello to everyone,

I'm posting this message because I think that I might have triggered some kind
of bug in the kernel, in my opinion related to the bluetooth system.

I use bluetooth VERY rarely, as a matter of fact I used it yesterday for the
first time in probably 8 months, because I wanted to transfer a picture from
my mobile phone into the laptop (usually I don't take pictures with the
mobile because the quality is very poor).
The importance of this observation resides in the fact that I experienced
another - and the only one till yesterday - kernel crash several months ago,
about the same time when I used the bluetooth for the last time.

Yesterday I switched on kbluetoothd (I use KDE 3.5.8 in Gentoo 2008.0) and I
started the transfer. As soon as I inserted the PIN code to confirm the
transfer and the progress bar appeared on the screen, an oops apparently
occurred, since two out of three keyboard lights were blinking (the capslock
light was the only one to be switched off). Needlessly to say the only thing
I could do was to hard reboot. The crash was not recorded in the logs with
any explicit message.

I tried to perform the transfer again and this time everything went
flawlessly. Then, I left my desk for about half an hour and when I came back
the oops had occurred again, since the screen was black (switched off by the
power-save mode in KDE) but the two lights were blinking again. Yet, no trace
of oops in the logs.

I admit that I have no real proof that bluetooth is the cause of the oops, but
as I tryed to explain I can reasonably suspect that it is somehow involved.
As I said I have not been using bluetooth for several months and in that
period i never experienced kernel crashes. Yesterday I used it twice and i
experienced two crashes in a row. More than a coincidence, I would say.

In attachment you can find my kernel configuration file and all the
informations that are requested in
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/reporting-bugs.html

I hope that these informations can be helpful, even though they are quite
vague.

Best regards,

Giordano Battilana

View attachment "kernel-config-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r3" of type "text/plain" (48792 bytes)

Download attachment "outputs.tar.gz" of type "application/x-tgz" (7008 bytes)