Date:	Fri, 02 May 2008 03:39:19 +0200
From:	Kasper Sandberg <lkml@...anurb.dk>
To:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
Cc:	Alex Davis <alex14641@...oo.com>, linux-raid@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Sharing disks amoung multiple software RAIDs

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 08:50 -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2008, Alex Davis wrote:
>
> > Is this a bad thing? I'm guessing that it is, but I want independent
> > confirmation before I spoke to someone I know who's doing this.
> >
> > Thanks

> What is the use case, why would you want to do that?
> I have seen people on the list do it before, for example are you going to
> be utilizing both raids at the same time?  If so, I would advise against
> it.
>
> What is the reasoning?

I do this!

is this really bad? i would surely like a list of reasons why..

I do it because.. well.. first off, it allows me to have /boot on
different raidlevel than / or /home without extra disks.
secondly, it allows me to with the same disks use different
filesystems.. for instance, it allows me to have /home encrypted with
dm-crypt, while still raided.. Not that i would mind encrypting /
and /home as 1 partition, but it creates a whole slew of issues with
having to create initrd and stuff..

I realize that performance probably suffers abit from this, but well..
is there any stability or security wise risk? i mostly use raid1 and
raid5 only..