Date:	Fri, 09 May 2008 16:03:12 -0700
From:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
To:	Jesper Krogh <jesper@...gh.cc>
CC:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, yhlu.kernel@...il.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: NIU - Sun Neptune 10g - Transmit timed out reset (2.6.24)

>> To which cpu(s) were the neptune's interrupts assigned? (grep <ethN>
>> /proc/interrupts)
>
> Several

Which ones?-)  I suspect that since it is several that at least answers
the MSI_X question right?  Or is it possible to have a single device
have several MSI interrupts?

>> Is the irqbalanced running?
>

> Yes. I started by not running it, but saw that cpu 0 was saturated by
> ksoftirqd
>
>> Were any of the 16 CPUs in the system saturated during the test? (top
>> with all CPUs displayed)
>

> Yes..
> Cpu12 : 34.2%us,  5.9%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id, 14.5%wa,  1.0%hi, 44.4%si,
> 0.0%st

David mentioned TX serialization - perhaps that is where TX completions
are happening?

> All others have idle time.
>
>> Do you have/know of any diagrams showing the way the I/O slots are
>> wired to the rest of the system?
>

> I havent dug into that. Probably naive, as I as, I expected som hardware
> guys as Sun to have taken care of that, when I bought the recommended
> 10g card for their own server.

I am very clueless as to the design considerations under which Neptune
was designed, but given that Neptune is based (IIRC) on the same "in
core" 10G stuff as Sun talks about being in the UltraSPARC-T2
processors, there is the possibility the design center was somewhat
different then what one sees in an 8P Opteron system, whether it carries
a Sun logo or not.  From what I've learned thusfar 8P Opteron systems
are "interesting" beasts with what I suspect are rather different
constraints and behaviours than an UltraSPARC-T[12] system.

What I was asking about was more a block diagram showing via which
sockets the given I/O slots were connected.

>> Have you tried any tests without any filesystem involvement?
>
> no not yet. I'll try that.

If you decide to go the netperf route, feel free to contact me directly
with netperf questions, or via the netperf-talk mailling list on
netperf.org.

rick jones