Date:	Sat, 17 May 2008 13:00:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, tglx@...utronix.de,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, hpa@...or.com
Subject: Re: [GIT pull] x86 fixes for 2.6.26

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> We've solved it by still doing the merges (we _need_ the information
> about potential upcoming merge trouble), but we dont commit them to the
> topic branches - we throw them away.

And that is *absolutely* the right thing to do.

Poeple need to test the different topic branches together some way anyway,
regardless of upcoming merge trouble, so yes, when you have more than one
branch, you inevitably need to have a "test branch" that ties them all
together for testing the end result (and that test branch generally would
be a throw-away one, like linux-next. In fact, it could *be* linux-next,
but there's good reason for you to test your own branches together rather
than waiting for an external entity to notice that your branches don't
work together).

So yes, sounds good.

			Linus