Date:	Mon, 26 May 2008 23:08:10 +0100
From:	Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@...p.org>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Subject: Question about interrupt routing and irq allocation

I'm working on a pv driver for hvm Xen guests.  That is, when booting
Linux in a fully-virtualized Xen domain, it can still access the
underlying Xen device model to get more efficient device access,
bypassing all the hardware emulation.

Xen implements this by creating a "Xen platform device" on the emulated
PCI bus, which is a bit like a PCI-Xenbus bridge:  the pci device driver
which discovers this device can then use it to register a xenbus, and
which then allows all the xenbus drivers to discover their devices.
This device has an interrupt which is asserted when any Xen event
channel has a pending event.

Now one way to handle this interrupt is just make it a single irq which
all xenbus drivers share.  They would then treat the event channel bit
array like an internal device register to disambiguate who should get
the interrupt.  That's what the current out of tree drivers do, and it
works OK.  The main problem is that all the interrupts are mushed
together, and can't be accounted for separately, given separate
affinities, etc.  It also means that there's a gratuitous difference
between the pv-on-hvm and pv-on-pv drivers, even though they're
functionally identical.

The other approach would be to treat it as some kind of interrupt
daisy-chain device.  The PCI-xenbus driver gets the interrupt, scans the
event channels, maps those onto distinct irqs and then (re-)delivers
them appropriately.  This means that the system would have a mixture of
PIC, APIC and Xen interrupt sources.  The main problem I see with this
is how to allocate irqs for the routing of event channels to irqs
(which, as I understand it, is equivalent to mapping IOAPIC pins to
local APIC irqs).

Is there some way to allocate irqs reliably, in a way which won't
conflict with APIC-based interrupt sources?  If I scan the irq_desc
array looking for entries without any chip, can I claim them and use
them for my Xen-irq-chip, or will that cause later conflicts?  Should I
just raise NR_IRQs and start using irqs above 224?

This is not an area I've looked at before, so it's quite likely I'm
getting details wrong.  Are there any other examples of devices like
this, either in the x86 world, or in general?

Thanks,