Date:	Fri, 30 May 2008 10:40:54 +1000
From:	Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>
To:	corbet@....net (Jonathan Corbet)
Cc:	ksummit-2008-discuss@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project

On Thursday May 29, corbet@....net wrote:
> Ben H writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 22:58 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > Not to distract from your points, but I think it's been a huge
> > > mistake to not allow folks to work hard on technical issues
> > > during the summit.
> >
> > Having been stopped a couple of times last year when trying to bring
> > some technical subjects for the reason that they were "off topic, KS is
> > for process" I tend to agree :-)
>
> Here's an idea: the discussion list for the 2008 summit has opened up.
> This seems like an ideal time to make suggestions for technical topics
> which you think would be appropriate for this gathering.  Failing that,
> you leave it up to the program committee to try to guess what's on
> everybody's minds, and that seems certain to disappoint a lot of people.

http://lwn.net/Articles/283161/

Barriers

What minimal semantics to Filesystem developers actually want?
What can hardware really provide?
What how can layered mutli-disk devices (md, dm, loop) mediate these?

What interface semantics can we come up with that are sufficiently
general and powerful that everyone will actually implement them
correctly?

However I won't be coming this year, so I won't be able to participate
directly in such a discussion.

NeilBrown