Date:	Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:04:09 -0400
From:	Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>
To:	Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@....uio.no>
Cc:	linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org, nfsv4@...ux-nfs.org,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	bfields@...ldses.org
Subject: Re: [2.6.26-rc4] mount.nfsv4/memory poisoning issues...

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:37:56 -0400
Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@....uio.no> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 17:01 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
>
> > In practice, I think the thread generally runs immediately (at least
> > with current scheduler behavior), so we're probably not terribly
> > vulnerable to this race. Still, we shouldn't rely on that...
>
> In the code I showed you, the 'kthread' task is put to sleep, then
> kthread_run() calls wake_up_process() on it, but the current task isn't
> scheduled out. Rather, it continues to run, so in almost all UP cases,
> the race is not only possible, it is actually rather likely if
> nfs_alloc_client() fails.

Ok, makes sense. It looks like with the kernel_thread interface, that
the function always runs, so we're not vulnerable to this race with
that.

> > For lockd and the nfs4 callback thread, we'll also need to deal with
> > the fact that svc_exit_thread() doesn't get called if this happens. So
> > we'll need to call svc_exit_thread from the *_down() functions too
> > (I presume that's OK).
>
> These *_up()/*_down() functions are getting very complex. Any chance we
> could hide some of this complexity in some helpers? Looking at the NFSv4
> callback code and lockd, it seems that there might be a couple of
> opportunities for merging code.

Possibly. I may start by just closing the races and then look and see what
can be consolidated.

> > nfsd is a bigger problem since it exits on a signal. For that, perhaps
> > we should declare a completion variable and have svc_set_num_threads()
> > wait until nfsd() has actually run before continuing.
>
> nfsd doesn't use kthreads, does it?

Bruce just took a patchset to make it use kthreads too. I'm thinking
2.6.27 for that, presuming that we get all of these issues worked out.

I think the only thing we can reasonably do there is make sure that
the thread actually starts before allowing svc_set_num_threads to
continue.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>