Date:	Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:32:44 -0500
From:	Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To:	Tim Bird <tim.bird@...sony.com>
Cc:	Adrian Bunk <adrian.bunk@...ial.fi>,
	linux-tiny <Linux-tiny@...enic.com>,
	linux-embedded <linux-embedded@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: mainlining min-configs...

On Monday 09 June 2008 20:37:29 Tim Bird wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Friday 06 June 2008 18:47:47 Tim Bird wrote:
> >> At a minimum, it would be nice to have a few nice examples
> >> of really, really small configs for things like qemus for different
> >> architectures (just to give embedded developers who are working
> >> on size a starting point).
> >
> > That's more or less what I'm trying to do with my Firmware Linux project:
> > creating cross compilers and minimal native build environments for every
> > qemu target.
>
> Any chance of getting your minimal configs from Firmware Linux mainlined?

There's _slightly_ more to it than that if you want to actually get a working
environment.  (For example, I'm feeding ppc an extra patch and a boot rom,
both from Milton Miller.  The config is useless without those.  I can walk
you through the status and reasoning of each platform if you'd like...)

I have no objection to people taking the configs I worked out for my purposes
and using them for any purpose if they want to do so, but my idea
of "working" involves having a hard drive and a network connection (so I can
run builds under the emulator using distcc to call out to the cross
compiler).  It's the minimal functionality _I_ need.  I'm just offering it as
a starting point, because you specifically mentioned configs for qemu.

If you're looking to compare and contrast configurations, possibly a more
_useful_ thing would be to convert all the kernel's existing *_defconfig
files to *_miniconfig files so you could see what they all _are_.

Lemme take a stab at that, actually...

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.