Date:	Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:49:24 +0200
From:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
To:	Max Krasnyansky <maxk@...lcomm.com>
Cc:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...sign.ru>, mingo@...e.hu,
	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
	Paul Jackson <pj@....com>, menage@...gle.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Mark Hounschell <dmarkh@....rr.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: workqueue cpu affinity

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 13:24 -0700, Max Krasnyansky wrote:
> Ok looks like we got deeper into workqueue discussion in the wrong mail thread
> :). So let me restart it.
>
> Here is some backgound on this. Full cpu isolation requires some tweaks to the
> workqueue handling. Either the workqueue threads need to be moved (which is my
> current approach), or work needs to be redirected when it's submitted.
> flush_*_work() needs to be improved too. See Peter's reply below.
>
> First reaction that a lot of people get is "oh no no, this is bad, this will
> not work". Which is understandable but _wrong_ ;-). See below for more details
> and analysis.
>
> One thing that helps in accepting this isolation idea is to think about the
> use cases. There are two uses cases for it:
> 1. Normal threaded RT apps with threads that use system calls, block on
> events, etc.
> 2. Specialized RT apps with thread(s) that require close to 100% of the CPU
> resources. Their threads avoid using system calls and avoid blocking. This is
> done to achieve very low latency and low overhead.
>
> Scenario #1 is straightforward. You'd want to isolate the processor the RT app
> is running on to avoid typical sources of latency. Workqueues running on the
> same processor is not an issue (because RT threads block), but you do not get
> the same latency guaranties.
>
> Workqueues are an issue for the scenario #2. Workqueue kthreads do not get a
> chance to run because user's RT threads are higher priority. However those RT
> threads should not use regular kernel services because that by definition
> means that they are not getting ~100% of the CPU they want. In other words
> they cannot have it both ways :).
>
> Therefore it's expected that the kernel won't be used heavily on those cpus,
> and nothing really schedules workqueues and stuff. It's also expected that
> certain kernel services may not be available on those CPUs. Again we cannot
> have it both ways. ie Have all the kernel services and yet the kernel is not
> supposed to use much CPU time :).
>
> If at this point people still get this "Oh no, that's wrong" feeling, please
> read this excellent statement by Paul J
>
> "A key reason that Linux has succeeded is that it actively seeks to work for a
> variety of people, purposes and products. One operating system is now a strong
> player in the embedded market, the real time market, and the High Performance
> Computing market, as well as being an important player in a variety of other
> markets. That's a rather stunning success."
> — Paul Jackson, in a June 4th, 2008 message on the Linux Kernel mailing list.

While true, that doesn't mean we'll just merge anything :-)

> btw Paul, it got picked up by the kerneltrap.org
> http://kerneltrap.org/Quote/A_Rather_Stunning_Success
>
> Sorry for the lengthy into. Back to the technical discussions.
>
> Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > The advantage of creating a more flexible or fine-grained flush is that
> > large machine also profit from it.
> I agree, our current workqueue flush scheme is expensive because it has to
> schedule on each online cpu. So yes improving flush makes sense in general.
>
> > A simple scheme would be creating a workqueue context that is passed
> > along on enqueue, and then passed to flush.
> >
> > This context could:
> >
> >  - either track the individual worklets and employ a completion scheme
> > to wait for them;
> >
> >  - or track on which cpus the worklets are enqueued and flush only those
> > few cpus.
> >
> > Doing this would solve your case since nobody (except those having
> > business) will enqueue something on the isolated cpus.
> >
> > And it will improve the large machine case for the same reasons - it
> > won't have to iterate all cpus.
> This will require a bit of surgery across the entire tree. There is a lot of
> code that calls flush_scheduled_work()P. All that would have to be changed,
> which is ok, but I think as the first step we could simply allow moving
> workqueue threads out of cpus where that load in undesirable and make people
> aware of what happens in that case.
> When I get a chance I'll look into the flush scheme you proposed above.
>
> > Of course, things that use schedule_on_each_cpu() will still end up
> > doing things on your isolated cpus, but getting around those would
> > probably get you into some correctness trouble.
> There is literally a _single_ user of that API.

There are quite a bit more on -rt, where a lot of on_each_cpu() callers,
that now use IPIs and run in hardirq context are converted to schedule.

> Actually lets look at all the current users of the schedule_on(cpu) kind of API.
>
> git grep
> 'queue_delayed_work_on\|schedPule_delayed_work_on\|schedule_on_each_cpu' |\
> 	grep -v 'workqueue\.[ch]\|\.txt'
>
> > drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.c:	queue_delayed_work_on(cpu, kondemand_wq, &dbs_info->work, delay);
> > drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.c:	queue_delayed_work_on(dbs_info->cpu, kondemand_wq, &dbs_info->work,
> No big deal. Worst case cpufreq state or that cpu will be stale.
> RT apps would not want cpufreq governor messing with the cpu frequencies
> anyway. So if you look back at the scenarios #1 and #2 I described above this
> is non-issue.

Sure, ondemand cpu_freq doesn't make sense while running (hard) rt
apps.

> > drivers/macintosh/rack-meter.c:	schedule_delayed_work_on(cpu, &rcpu->sniffer,
> > drivers/macintosh/rack-meter.c:	schedule_delayed_work_on(cpu, &rm->cpu[cpu].sniffer,
> Not a big deal either. In the worst case stats for the isolated cpus will not
> be updated. Can probably be converted to timers.

sure... see below [1]

> > drivers/oprofile/cpu_buffer.c:	schedule_delayed_work_on(i, &b->work, DEFAULT_TIMER_EXPIRE + i);
> > drivers/oprofile/cpu_buffer.c: * By using schedule_delayed_work_on and then schedule_delayed_work
> Yep I mentioned before that messing with the workqueues brakes oprofile. So
> yes this one is an issue. However again it's not a catastrophic failure of the
> system. Oprofile will not be able to collect samples from the CPU RT app is
> running on and it actually warns the user about it (it prints and error that
> the work is running on the wrong cpu). I'm working on a patch that collects
> samples via IPI or per cpu timer. It will be configurable of course. So this
> one is not a big deal either.

NMI/timers sound like a good way to run oprofile - I thought it could
already use them.. ? Anyway, see below.. [2]

> > mm/slab.c:	schedule_delayed_work_on(cpu, reap_work,
> Garbage collection. Again see scenarios I described above. If the kernel is
> not being heavily used on the isolated cpu there is not a whole lot of SLAB
> activity, not running the garbage collector is not a big deal.
> Also SLUB does not have per cpu garbage collector, people running RT apps
> should simply switch to the SLUB. So this one is non-issue.

Dude, SLUB uses on_each_cpu(), that's even worse for your #2 case. Hmm
so does SLAB.. and a lot of other code.

> > mm/swap.c:	return schedule_on_each_cpu(lru_add_drain_per_cpu);
> This is one is swap LRU handling. This is the only user of
> schedule_on_each_cpu() btw. This case is similar to the above cases. Most
> people doing RT either have no swap at all, or avoid any kind of swapping
> activity on the CPUs used for RT. If they aren't already they should :).

It isn't actually swap only - its all paging, including pagecache etc..
Still, you're probably right in that the per cpu lrus are empty, but why
not improve the current scheme by keeping a cpumask of cpus with
non-emppty pagevecs, that way everybody wins.

> > mm/vmstat.c:	schedule_delayed_work_on(cpu, vmstat_work, HZ + cpu);
> Not sure if it's an issue or not. It has not been for me.
> And again if it is an issue it's not a catastrophic failure kind of thing.
> There is not a whole lot of VM activity on the cpus running RT apps, otherwise
> they won't run for very long ;-).

Looking at this code I'm not seeing the harm in letting it run - even
for your #2 case, it certainly is not worse than some of the
on_each_cpu() code, and starving it doesn't seem like a big issue.

---

I'm worried by your approach to RT - both your solutions [1,2] and
oversight of the on_each_cpu() stuff seem to indicate you don't care
about some jitter on your isolated cpu.

Timers and on_each_cpu() code run with hardirqs disabled and can do all
kinds of funny stuff like spin on shared locks. This will certainly
affect your #2 case.

Again, the problem with most of your ideas is that they are very narrow
- they fail to consider the bigger picture/other use-cases.

To quote Paul again:
        "A key reason that Linux has succeeded is that it actively seeks
        to work for a variety of people, purposes and products"

You often seem to forget 'variety' and target only your one use-case.

I'm not saying it doesn't work for you - I'm just saying that by putting
in a little more effort (ok, -rt is a lot more effort) we can make it
work for a lot more people by taking out a lot of the restrictions
you've put upon yourself.

Please don't take this too personal - I'm glad you're working on this.
I'm just trying to see what we can generalize.