Date:	Tue, 24 Jun 2008 07:09:00 +0200
From:	Joris van Rantwijk <jorispubl@...all.nl>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Physical memory disappeared from /proc/meminfo

My system got into a situation where a lot of physical memory is
in use. I want to know where this memory is being used, but it
seems to have become untraceable somehow.

My total physical memory is 1 GB.
Adding up all VSZ numbers from "ps auxw" gets me to about 75 MB,
so I should have a lot of free memory but I don't see it.

My kernel is Linux 2.6.25.4 for x86_64 with a 32-bit userland.
I disabled swap to make it easier to investigate this issue.

One problem is that I can't really make sense of /proc/meminfo.
As far as I understand the numbers, I find that about 640 MB is
unaccounted for.

For example I would expect that
MemTotal = MemFree + Buffers + Cached + AnonPages + Mapped + Slab.

Is that a valid assumption?
Why does it not hold for my machine?
Is this a bug in the memory statistics?
What part of the system is using all this untraceable memory?

/proc/meminfo:
MemTotal:     996320 kB
MemFree:       67708 kB
Buffers:       17716 kB