Date:	Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:35:32 +1000
From:	Tim Connors <tconnors@...ro.swin.edu.au>
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, dipankar@...ibm.com,
	balbir@...ux.vnet.ibm.com,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Suresh B Siddha <suresh.b.siddha@...el.com>,
	Venkatesh Pallipadi <venkatesh.pallipadi@...el.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Vatsa <vatsa@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Gautham R Shenoy <ego@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC v1] Tunable sched_mc_power_savings=n

Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org> said on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:06:28 +0200:
> Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > disappeared then I'd call that a huge usability regression. Basically
> > making ondemand useless.
> >
> > /me checks,..
> >
> > Yeah, on F9, my opteron runs at 1GHz when idle, but when I start distcc,
> > which like said runs on nice 19, the cpu speed goes up to 2.4GHz.
>
> Ok distcc is a special case,

No it's not.  Most compute heavy jobs most people run would be better
off being done sooner rather than later, otherwise you might as well
go out and buy a 100MHz computer.  But most users also want "nice" to
do what was intended of it -- make one app not steal *any* CPU cycles
from another app that would really rather those CPU cycles right now
(yes, I know that long running CPU jobs theoretically become lower
priority so steal less, and in theory, there is no difference between
theory and practice.  But in practice, there is, and these long
running jobs still impact on desktop and ssh interactivity)

I end up nicing opera and firefox half the time because I'm sick of
their CPU leaks.  It doesn't mean I don't want them to finish their
screen updating sooner.