Date:	Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:32:38 -0400
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	Tigran Aivazian <tigran@...azian.fsnet.co.uk>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New World Order firmware...

I built the -rc8-mmotd kernel, and built it with 'CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=n'.
Lo and behold, the microcode.ko was now doing a request_firmware for
'intel-ucode/06-0f-06' (which makes sense, the Core2 Duo in this laptop is
family 6, model 15, stepping 6).  However, what I had in /lib/firmware was
the Intel-distributed 'microcode.dat' with updates for all the CPUs (which
used to work in times past).

What's the magic incantation to take the microcode.dat and create something
that the firmware driver is willing to use, or is this all borked up and
I need to do a major rethink or fix my config?

Another minor annoyance - the tg3 driver, when builtin to the kernel, wouldn't
load the microcode in this config. It complained it couldn't get 'tigon/tg3_tos.bin',
but that's almost certainly an issue with Fedora's 'nash' firmware support and/or
my understanding of it - I got *that* part working by dropping the file into
/lib/firmware/tigon and building the driver as a module. Fortunately, I don't
need the tg3 driver to boot far enough to get a full udev running.