Date:	Sun, 6 Jul 2008 06:02:30 -0400
From:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
To:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
Cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Olivier Galibert <galibert@...ox.com>,
	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>, Hannes Reinecke <hare@...e.de>,
	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>, Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, hugh@...itas.com,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com,
	mchan@...adcom.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 09:55:11PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > That's unfortunately not true.  There are a lot of drivers that rely
> > on specific firmware versions.
>
> Do you have examples of such?

The worst examples are aic7xx/aic79xx and the symbios family of drivers
where the firmware / driver interface is entirely defined by the driver.
But as we have opensource firmware for these and build it as part of
the kernel build I suspect you don't want to convert them to external
firmware either.

aic94xx has a very similar firmware to aic7xx/aic79xx but it's only
available as blob.  We've alredy required specific firmware versions
there.

b43 has two totally different firmware major revisions that even require
different drivers.