Date:	Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:50:40 -0700
From:	ebiederm@...ssion.com (Eric W. Biederman)
To:	Mike Travis <travis@....com>
Cc:	Suresh Siddha <suresh.b.siddha@...el.com>, mingo@...e.hu,
	hpa@...or.com, tglx@...utronix.de, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	arjan@...ux.intel.com, andi@...stfloor.org,
	jbarnes@...tuousgeek.org, steiner@....com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 19/26] x64, x2apic/intr-remap: introcude self IPI to genapic routines

Mike Travis <travis@....com> writes:

> On a similar subject I would really like to change the send_IPI_mask to pass a
> pointer to the cpumask_t arg:
>
>         void (*send_IPI_mask)(cpumask_t mask, int vector);
>

> This bloats the stack by 512 bytes and seemingly is called by some fairly
> nested routines.  Any opinions?

It sounds like a pain.  Especially since we would need to dereference
cpumask_t when we use it.  Does any remember if there was a plan for
dealing with cpumask_t when the number of cpus got large?

If we pass in a pointer to constant data semantically we should be fine.

Mostly I am wondering if three isn't a cleaner solution hidden away somewhere.

Eric