Date:	Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:29:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Gerhard Wiesinger <lists@...singer.com>
To:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-raid@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Lots of con-current I/O = resets SATA link? (2.6.25.10)

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

>>> I'm changing the disk one more time ...
>>
>> Once you replace the disk please re-run the tests shown above and show us
>> the output please.
>>
>> How many SAMSUNG disks have you gone through, do they really fail that
>> often?
>>

> Hello Justin!
>
> Setup Power suppply:
> sda-sdd are on the same power supply cable, sde, sdf are on a second one.
>
> I changed the disk to a new SAMSUNG disk and the first raid resync did NOT
> work and I had 1 reallocated sector ...
>
> Also the RMA guy at our very good computer store (http://www.ditech.at/) were
> helpfull in changing the disks and he hates the SAMSUNG disks because of high
> RMA rates ...
>
> But:
> smart checks were ok (details see below). The smart checks are shown as
> aborted, but before running the next tests they were at "Completed without
> error" (strange).
>
> Now sdc has it's own power cable and I'm running a raid resync now.
>
> Power supply is:
> ATX 385 Watt, ENERMAX PRO82+
>
> Load on power supply measured on 220V side with a true RMS Wattmeter:
> Power off: 6,5W
> Max seen at power up: 196W
> BIOS: 114,1W
> Linux idle: 92,0W
> 100% Disk I/O, 100% CPU load: 149,6W
> => Everything fine and as expected.
>
> I'll keep you up to date ...

Hello!

It looks like it works now without any problems:
*) Serveral RAID checks (once a day)
*) smartctl checks were fine
*) Only one reallocated sector
*) Writing the disk full with random data

So the possibilities for the fault are:
*) SATA power connector (most likely I would guess)
*) 4th disk is now ok
*) Other 220V power cable connector through the Wattmeter

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/