Date:	Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:34:42 +1000
From:	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Mike Travis <travis@....com>
Subject: Re: [git pull] cpus4096 fixes

On Monday 28 July 2008 13:06:36 Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:42:12 +1000 Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>
wrote:
> > The 4k CPU patches have been sliding in without review up until now.
>
> wot?

This surprises you?  I stumbled across the cpumask_of_cpu() bug because I
happened to want it for stop_machine and read the damned code.  But it lead
me to the surrounding code, which is pretty questionable.  An arch-specific
map, rather than depending on NR_CPUS?  Adding set_cpus_allowed_ptr() instead
of changing set_cpus_allowed()?  Macros which declare things and may or may
not do an allocation/free?  Finally a patch so horrifically ugly that it
can't be ignored any more gets all the way to Linus.

Overall, it seems like an attempt to sneak in gradual workarounds for cpumasks
on the stack, rather than a coherent plan.  I understand the temptation to
avoid an "are we prepared to pay this price for large NR_CPUS?" discussion,
but we need it anyway.

And that's what I call "review".
Rusty.